Sunday, January 9, 2011

Building Your Business


Building a business can seem easy at first, but a some point you'll hit a Plato and you'll level out. A lot of business owners fold up tent here and quit.

I've personally built three business and know the Plato's you can have. I had a pet food delivery service www.Gooberpetdirect.com I started out of my garage. The very first ad I did was flyer's. I canvased the neighborhoods with door hangers. I got a few clients out of that, so I kept doing it for 3 months. I eventually Plato'd out.

The business started a new marketing campaign with a paper called Penny saver. They offered me a front page on all the zones they didn't sell. Penny saver gave me a great price on it and I started doing that. They delivered my ad to almost 80,000 homes a week. It cut into my wallet a few bucks but it worked. The business got 20-60 people a week.

That eventually did the same thing Plato'd out and I had to come with another new idea. We came up with the Goober News (Goober was my dogs name). I ran some fun stories and advertised all my new items to my clients and had a club goober you could join. The key though was a 10% discount I offered to clients to bring in new clients. That idea got me 150 new clients a month. In fact the dog food companies came in and told me I had uncontrollable growth. I thought to myself that's a problem? ; )

When I sold the company we had 6000 clients and gross sells of $1,000,000 dollars. Our ticket average was $35 compared to Petsmart which was around $19.

So when one idea Plato's out then think of a new marketing piece and start it upwards again. Remember that marketing is the key. Learn your existing clients and build your company from them also, they are your best advertising. Brett Young Valley Realty WWW.Rooftopprofitmax.com

No comments:

Post a Comment